Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

Look the little tribe of Benjamin leads the way. Psalm 68:27

Our Family

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
"In everything you do, put God first and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success."
Proverbs 3:6

Monday, January 16, 2017

The Disease that takes and takes

Alzheimers disease. 
My first experience with it was hearing a lecture in nursing school. I don't remember many individual lectures, but this one just stuck with me. Maybe because our instructor had personal experiences to share maybe not. She said the most important thing that you need to remember about this disease is that it takes your loved one piece by piece. 1 year. 5 years. 20 years. A slow progression of losing someone important to your life.
I worked in a dementia/alzheimers unit at a nursing home for a little bit through nursing school. It was one of the most emotionally taxing times of my young adult life.
Fast forward to a few years ago, when my pappy started going downhill. Some of his early behaviors could have been chalked up to older age unless you knew that he was as smart as a whip. And his very quick wit.
While I haven't been phsically present for his decline, I have talked to my dad on a regular weekly basis to witness the toll it took on my Grammy and my dad. 
I will remember the vibrant, funny, and quick witted pappy forever but would be lying if I said that the past few years haven't left a huge scar.
Here's to the families, caregivers, and the people who have this horrible disease. If you are walking through it right now, I am praying for peace, understanding, and endurance. Praying for a cure ♡

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Family Love

Family Love
2009

Want to know more about our family? Keep scrolling!